Can you find it in your heart to forgive me? Is tardiness really a mortal sin? Perhaps when you try this recipe you will find I wasn’t such a horrid person for neglecting to post last week’s Chocolate Challenge. I know, it’s tough to go a week without talking about chocolate, but good things do come to those who wait.
Like these Chocolate, Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins. Oh my, I know I’ve said on this blog that other muffins have been the best I’ve ever baked, but really, these are the best. And, in case you’re wondering, you can never really have too many banana muffin recipes. If you go by the constant parade of blackened bananas in my dining room, you would agree. Remember, fruit’s in them so no need to feel guilty, either. Gives you one of your daily five fruits and vegetables if you eat 6 of them in one day.
P.S. You will notice, these muffins have chocolate malt. Yes, I’m on another personal quest, this time to develop a chocolate malt muffin. These muffins were great, but the malt flavor didn’t really stand out as much as I’d like it to. So don’t be surprised if there are even more banana muffins in the future. Don’t groan at me – you know you and your family love them.
- 2 extremely ripe, kind of squishy bananas
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp hot water
- ½ c canola oil
- ¾ c sugar
- ¼ c chocolate malt powder
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1½ c flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- Mash bananas well with a fork in a small bowl. Add baking soda and hot water, mix in, and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the vegetable oil. sugar, and malt powder. Make a small well in the middle and crack in the egg. First scramble the egg with your fork, then mix into the rest of the mixture. Add the vanilla, flour, baking powder and salt and continue to mix in with fork. Pour in the banana mixture and mix again. Finally, add the chocolate chips and blend well.
- Distribute the batter evenly between the muffin cups. Place in oven and bake for 15 - 20 minutes until tester inserted into center of muffins comes out clean.